Hi everyone, if there's any one left that follow my posts. Sorry for that; I've been more productive than interactive.
What to say after it's been about a 16-months hiatus since I've posted anything here? I can say that I got some things cleared away from my backlog of projects or just simply dropped, leaving less things on the back burner of my mind. I can say that I have changed some of my old habits, working out what tends to do better for me at different times of the day. I like to say that I'm in a better place in my life in comparison to where I was last year but I don't seem to feel that. However, that's probably a good thing as I can be motivated to keep improving myself until I start to feel happier.
As I'm starting to make all this purging more of a timed-weekly chore list rather than stuff to take up my free time in-between my work shifts, I'm getting what I want to do as an artist worked. It is about time I start to do this more professionally rather than as a side-hobby. I'll reveal how I plan to in the near-future.
In the meantime, I might as well show you some photos from one of my projects that I cleared off last year. Or you can click/tap away from this page for something else, it's up to you.
----- ===== + + + + + ===== -----
One of the longer projects was my scarecrow doll project, taking a lot of the scrap fabric to use up for a halloween decor idea. Depending of some features, it took weeks to get one of them done. For the 1st half of the year, I was getting all 4 of them sewn and stuffed into blank sitting dolls:
- Sawing and gluing wood scraps into a weighted head spikes for styrofoam heads.
- Drawing out the templates for their fabric limbs.
- Cutting out multiple sheets of limb templates from discounted canvas cuts.
- Strenuously Hand-Stitched (Machine-Stitched for some parts thankfully) and Hand-Fluffed & Stuffed all 4 into blank canvas dolls, button eyes and thread smiles.
And that was just before I start working on each one individually by summer time in-between my work shifts. I've worked roughly from July to October to complete 2 of them before Halloween, only to have it pouring rain on the big night (Thank you for front porch awnings).
The first one was a funky mop-head hippie. The hardest and longest part to work on it was the hair, not just for twinning into locks from literally a discounted disposable mop head but the stitching it all in staying in place with multiple cut strands. I remember this took about 3 weeks to do out of its difficulty and having to find another mop-head that came close enough to complete the whole head. After that, I decided to make hats for the rest of them to cut down on all that hand-stitching work.
Next came making its clothes. Much of it was possible by sewing machine but for some aesthetics, I used colourful threads that I've double-double folded for decorative hand stitching. A lot of the fabrics are ones I've found (and cleaned) via salvaging while some are old worn clothes and textiles like old throw pillows or seat cushions.
After many hours and hours of sewing, I took old dried corn leaves or some plant fibres and hot glued to the hem ends of the sleeves for a straw-stuffed look. They looked a bit too long so I trimmed them. I'd also hot-glued some extra decor for finishing touches.
...And after about 2 months' of work, this is its final look. It definitely carry much from the original sketch I drew. It doesn't have many halloween colours but the project was about using up the old materials I had hoarded for a long time.
Now onto the 2nd one, which is a more autumn-coloured country girl. I used a lot of old denim pants' scraps to make her dress, embroidered with some orange threads courtesy of my sewing machine.
After the dress, I did the pointed hat in denim too but made more patch-like with both sides and discoloured wrinkles.
I decided to have a colourful inner-liner for the hat. This took lots of sewing to get every bit of that dollar store-bought dishcloth to fit under but the patchiness works with the hat.
After a few adornments included to the hat and dress, I've moved onto the hair.
Taking unwoven dishcloth strands and dyed raffia fibres left-over from my Scarecrow Angel Makeover project, I've hand-stitched front banes and back hair to weave into a braid. Remembering how much trouble I had for the first one and I didn't have enough "red hair" for the 2nd, I used the hat to cover over the "bald spot," giving the illusional look.
And then after a few additions, voila the second doll is done and just a week before Halloween. Had some trick or treaters said that they liked how they looked.
Well, that's what I got done for this project last year. After putting in about 6-8 months of my spare time into those, I took a break from them, just to take time for clearing other things and to get a gift idea for my niece done. That's part of the old habits I was talking about, how I tend to drift off into other things than to stay focused on my current task/work. Youtube clip-watching while working is another one, should stick to more non-lyrical music videos.
Okay, I'm starting to sound unfocused here, partly for extending my bed time and still am working during this pandemic. But this was a long overdue post that I should've made months ago, a habit that I want to be less tardy about. So, fairly soon, I post up here what I plan for my future work as an artist. Succeed or fail, I'm going to go for it! Laters!